OPEN CALL for Cumbrian artist to create a digital artwork on the theme of Lost Stations
Deadline: Midnight, Monday 17th July 2017
Signal Film and Media is delighted to announce a new micro-commission opportunity, as part of its year-long Lost Stations digital arts programme. The micro-commission is designed to showcase digital artwork by a Cumbrian-based artist, based on the theme of Lost Stations.
We are looking for an artist to respond to the theme of Lost Stations, a huge network of disused train lines and stations that once ran across Barrow-in-Furness and the legacy of its boom years. Now almost invisible, these ‘Lost Stations’ reflect key moments in Barrow’s history, serving as a metaphor for the changing fate of a town and a ghost image of its past.
Artworks must incorporate the digital, but submissions may include film, photography, sound, animation, mixed media or performance art. The work will be open for public viewing for a number of weeks, or it can take place on a shorter timeframe if they include a live element.
Artists will receive:
– £500 bursary towards production and materials
– An additional £500 of in-kind support including: 2 x mentoring meetings, installation support from technical staff, access to Signal’s in-house technical equipment and travel costs.
Applications will be reviewed by a panel including Loren Slater, Director of Signal Film and Media, Phil Northcott, Curator, Bren O’Callaghan, Visual Art Programme Manager at HOME, Manchester & Dani Admiss, Independent Digital Curator, London.
The work will be exhibited at Cooke’s Studios, a 16,000ft, Grade II listed Victorian building which runs over 5 floors and is housed in the heart of Barrow-in-Furness. Proposals can be for a number of available spaces within the building, this includes:
– 102 Groundfloor derelict space (approx. 7m x 22m)
– 102 Upper Space (approx. 5m x 9m)
– 104 Ground Floor Space (approx. 4.3m x 13.4m)
– Windows (inside or outside) facing onto Abbey Road
– Building Corridors & Stairwells
How to Apply
To apply, artists must submit:
– A 200 word statement about their piece. This can include imagery, which space you would like to use within Cooke’s Studios & any specific technical requirements.
– A 200 word statement telling us about previous work or experience and detailing why you would like the opportunity.
– Website link or attachments showing examples of work
Please email applications to email@example.com
If you would like more information, please email the above or call Joanna (Lost Stations Project Manager) on 07813 536 806
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by the final week of July. The deadline for the completion of the artwork will be mid-September, culminating in a public opening around this time.
Signal Film & Media is an award winning film and digital media charity with a reputation for both high quality professional short film production and a wide range of community engagement media projects.
The Lost Stations programme is kindly supported by Arts Council England and will open up a world of digital art for participants and audiences in Barrow-in-Furness and Cumbria. This Micro-Commission is part of a whole host of digital opportunities happening over the year to see, experience, and get involved with.
For more background please see: